braza VIP
Total posts: 46
14 Aug 2013 03:45

Hi,

I might be too low skilled but can`t find where can I change this element to expand the advanced search

Therers an article about that I think but it didnt help me with this element. Or I`m blind.._.

My opinion is that this item should be better articulated. This icon does not explain user what to expect there or how useful it can be. I tend to append the label to this icon and even probably make this whole field always expanded.

Any advices, code snippets or even complete templates are welcome. Thanks!

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
14 Aug 2013 16:22

Agree. I also do not associate the symbol with an advanced search or more options. I think it was a "gear" icon in previous versions of Cobalt. Which was slightly better, IMHO.

Since bootstrap is involved and required, it should be an appended input style... - a button with gear-icon, maybe combined with terms like "options", "advanced". - or a search/go button + second arrow down icon

bootstrap original examples (wrong terms and icons):

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
14 Aug 2013 16:49

Actually, Emerald9 has similar search inputs:

and also Cobalt has similar search inputs ;-) See Cobalt Records list in backend.

Some simple examples and quick edits with firebug and "icomoon" classes:

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
14 Aug 2013 17:51

You can find it in the markup template, line 97

Before modifying it, please read here

See also here

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
15 Aug 2013 08:34

I understand that it might not be 100% satisfying. Especially with filters. There are hundreds of ways how to render filters. But all that also depends on section type. What you display. It may be hidden like now or exposed by default. It may be tabs or sliders or columns or who knows what else.

We only try to supply basic template which will fit most user cases.

And we think that if anyone whats it to looks different, then one need to create own templates. Because we cannot satisfy everyone anyway. And that is why templating system was created for Cobalt.

Sackgesicht VIP
Total posts: 1,636
15 Aug 2013 15:31

Thanks! Which file exactly?

See here

Make first your copy as described under 3)

Then edit the new file in the folder /components/com_cobalt/views/records/tmpl/

and set it as your new default in the section parameter for the markup template.