08 Jun 2013 23:33

I know I ask some crazy questions here, but you guys are awesome. I appreciate all the feedback you provide. So, here is my latest crazy question.

We would like to have a field that is automatically filled by the software. The user does not have to be able to edit it. We want to figure out the production number based on the VIN that the user will have entered in a previous field. The last six digits from the smallest VIN for that model year (listed here) would be subtracted from the last six digits from the VIN entered by the user. The result is the Production Number, which is the field we are looking for.

Is this something that can be done in Cobalt?

Again, thanks for your time!

Last Modified: 02 Mar 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
09 Jun 2013 22:34

This depends on what you need it for.if you need it just for display you may do it in template. Take field value and process right there. If you need to sort or filter by this values then it should be separate field.

Create new field if cobalt is not simplest but also not very complicated task.

At least you can rename/copy text field, hide input on the form and in onstorevalue method just save value you need. If you'll got someone to do it for you just let him contact me and I'll explain him.

dlbass93 VIP
Total posts: 44
13 Jun 2013 19:19

Thanks Sergey, we have found and read through the documentation to create a custom field, and we are going to give it a shot!

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
14 Jun 2013 01:16

create a custom field

Cool! I definitely want to see on result.