stblink VIP
Total posts: 501
14 Фев 2013 11:11

Can you please explain me the option in Section Parameteres Language mode.

the options are "show records submitted in any language" and "show record submitted in current language".

Where it get's the language from ? is it compatible to Falang ? how does it work ?

thanks

Последние изменения: 20 Март 2014

Sergey
Total posts: 13,748
15 Фев 2013 00:16

Yes it works. The article submitted with the language currently set as Joomla display language. For example you have 2 languages EN and RU. People who submit article when Joomla RU language is active, are submitting articles with RU language and vice versa.

Then you may want to show only RU articles to those who read section with Joomla RU language on.

stblink VIP
15 Фев 2013 09:49

Hmm interesting.

That would solve part of this issue.

Could you please consider to add another option to this field ?

Something like "Prioritize records submitted on current language", wich shows the records from the current language first and other countries last. The featured records from other language would appear after the records of the current language.

This would help immensily, because if records are shown of the current language with geoip location it would show a website like if it's local.

pepperstreet VIP
Total posts: 3,837
15 Фев 2013 11:23

In addition to "stblink" request, I was thinking in the opposite direction. Keep multiple versions of the same article side-by-side. BTW, what happens on a mixed language display? Funilly, I never tried it myself in ME Resources. How is the list sorted? How to show and order multiple versions side-by-side or as a "group of articles"? How to display multiple full-views?

Sergey
16 Фев 2013 12:17

Unfortunately there is not way to get records sorted like that. i can only sort by language ASC or DESC. I cannot sort by particular language first. For that I'll have to run 2 separate queries to gel list of the records. And what if there are 10 languages? I men not on your site bot on other site and they want to use this parameter.

My apologise but it is impossible to implement :)

what happens on a mixed language display? Funilly, I never tried it myself in ME Resources. How is the list sorted? How to show and order multiple versions side-by-side or as a "group of articles"? How to display multiple full-views?

There are no mirror views. In fact even if you have translated some article and chose show only current language, cobalt does not know which article translation is current article. It even does not know that it is translation at all. So you may translate mut you cannot use paralel translation line in JoomFish. it is more like Joomla method.

stblink VIP
16 Фев 2013 12:41

And cannot be accomplished using url parameters ?

Sergey
16 Фев 2013 22:53

And cannot be accomplished using url parameters ?

Nope :)

stblink VIP
02 Июнь 2013 15:37

Scenario:

• Falang module with 2 languages (PT and EN)
  • Section language mode is "display records in current language"
  • Section has Featured record first

Pressing shows all records submitted using that language, the same for EN, in both cases... the featured records (using that specific language) is always first.

Using the above scenario I cannot add a "country" field on the types (searchable) and the user search for a specific country, correct? He is forced to change the website language... but if he does not understand the language he won't understand anything...

When i'm admin and submitting a record... i have access to change the language in which i'm inserting the record... couldn't this field be accessed by the user (filled by default using the current language, but he can change it) AND also searchable (changing the label on the search form to 'country') ?

Sergey
03 Июнь 2013 00:53

I cannot add a "country" field on the types (searchable) and the user search for a specific country, correct?

This depends. if country is a text search then yes if country is DB source then no. I mean if you use SQL to list countries then ID will be saved as reference for country.

I cannot add a "country" field on the types (searchable) and the user search for a specific country, correct?

couldn't this field be accessed by the user (filled by default using the current language, but he can change it) AND also searchable (changing the label on the search form to 'country') ?

I think so. There is parameter in submission form template to allow language field access level.

pepperstreet VIP
03 Июнь 2013 08:02

There is parameter in submission form template to allow language field access level.

What happens if the user views the site in Language "A" ... but changes the language field to "B" and submits? Is it simply assigned to the selected Language "B"?

Sergey
03 Июнь 2013 08:11

What happens if the user views the site in Language "A" ... but changes the language field to "B" and submits? Is it simply assigned to the selected Language "B"?

yes

stblink VIP
03 Июнь 2013 08:44

That's interesting... i have 3 languages on the site... PT - BR - EN but records will only be submitted in 2 (PT - BR).

English will only be available to translate labels and not to view records inserted using that language.

If the user is allowed to change the field language he wants to insert that could be accomplished (otherwise when pressing EN language would show no records).

The problem here is to make that field searchable... does it have an ID like the normal fields which may be inserted into the search template?

stblink VIP
03 Июнь 2013 15:43

btw... settings "show records submitted on current language" active and with a field country on the search (country is a field i created).

Searching for records of a country (that we're inserted using a different language) will appear on search results?

Sergey
04 Июнь 2013 03:22

Searching for records of a country (that we're inserted using a different language) will appear on search results?

It depends on what field you used. Select or Select with SQL source. What Cobalt saves as a value ID of the country or Country name text.

Anyway logic is this. Only found string in desired language will be found. Tha means

Article language EN

Country Russia

Search Russia

Result true

Article language RU

Country Russia

Search Россия

Result false

Article language RU

Country Россия

Search Россия

Result true

The problem here is to make that field searchable... does it have an ID like the normal fields which may be inserted into the search template?

What is a search template? To me that does not matter. You find what was entered.

First it trim languages according to language mode. And then look for search string.

stblink VIP
04 Июнь 2013 08:11

ok thanks

pepperstreet VIP
16 Март 2014 23:40

Currently investigating Drupal7/Joomla3 multi-language options... including different CCK solutions.

Still unsure about FaLang + Cobalt. In general my test install does work, and I know JoomFish from J!1.5 and Resources and also Joomla 2.5. Am i right with my following conclusions?

• FaLang translates Cobalt's Category/Section/Labels/Groups. So, structure is not duplicated.
  • J! core language overrides are used for field's VALUES.
  • Cobalt Record submission relies on (special) language-field. Which can be set by current frontend site languag (Or manually on submission form)

My issues and questions:

• Category Index (total#) does not respect current language, nor section language mode. Total number shows article count of ALL languages. The total should be language dependent, IMHO.
  • To "translate" a Cobalt record, I have to submit it in the current lanuage?! There is no typical FaLang translation... it is more or less a copy of an existing article. But this produces real copies AND new article IDs, right? NO way to utilize the usual FaLang benefit, where I keep articles and ID's... and just translate the "content"?!

Sergey
17 Март 2014 06:22

pepperstreet Category Index (total#) does not respect current language, nor section language mode. Total number shows article count of ALL languages. The total should be language dependent, IMHO.

I have applied a fix. Now language mode section parameter should be respected when calculating articles.

pepperstreet NO way to utilize the usual FaLang benefit, where I keep articles and ID's... and just translate the "content"?!

You can translate content. The only problem with Falang you cannot do it from frontend. Only from backend.

pepperstreet VIP
17 Март 2014 13:15

Sergey You can translate content. The only problem with Falang you cannot do it from frontend. Only from backend.

How to use FaLang for "Cobalt Record" translations?! Do I miss something obvious? There is no typical "record/article" content element in backend.

Sergey
18 Март 2014 03:15

No, no, no.. It is me. I missed something. yes it is not translatable with Falang.

pepperstreet VIP
19 Март 2014 23:01

Sergey No, no, no.. It is me. I missed something. yes it is not translatable with Falang.

Then I was right with all my experiences and conclusions?!

So, Records/Cobalt articles are more or less "Duplicates with own ID" like it is in J! core translation method.

A real benefit of Joomfish/FaLang is the ability to have partly translated content. i.e. ALL articles are there for the default language, but some articles might still be missing or in progress in the other language. Those "gaps" could be filled by a message hint, and/or the auto-mapping of the original default article. So, this is not possible, although we use Joomfish/FaLang?!

Example:

• Article-99 in GERMAN is ready.
  • Article-99 in ENGLISH is NOT ready.

Since the section language mode has to be "Articles in CURRENT language"...

• german Article as placeholder is not displayed. I can't show an automatic hint.
  • The ENGLISH Article HAS to be created MANUALLY. At least a copy with unfinished translation has to be created.
  • Only alternative to show the same article as a "placeholder": Show language field to content editor, and set language-field to "ALL".

Actually, the auto-submission in current language is a nice and quick way... but not really what I expected in a FaLang environment.

It also destroys my plans for some Menus with single Cobalt-Article Menu-Items. Since each language gets his own ArticleID's I would have to duplicate those as well :( So, Falang makes no sense for such a setup. But I don't want to mix two translation methods!! Chicken-Egg situation.

Sergey
20 Март 2014 07:59

pepperstreet Chicken-Egg situation

Agree. This is because Joomla had no language management build in and other people were trying to create something.

So we've got a lot of difefrent concepts how it should be done and we do not have single standard.

Работает на Cobalt